Fire Guts House Of Newly-Wed; Nagaland Villagers Construct A New One Within Hours

Nokhat Konyak and his wife Hailem Konyak were out for work when their house caught fire


When a community stays together, it can accomplish goals that no individual could do on their own. One such example was seen in Zangkham village located in Mon district of Nagaland when a house of a newly married couple was reduced to ashes by fire and in return, the villagers came together to construct a new house within hours.

The incident occurred on September 26th, 2019 at around 7 am. The couple was not at home when suddenly smoke started coming out and immediately the villagers came forward to save all the belongings of the house from the fire.

Speaking to Time8, Khatnai Konyak, a local said, “The house belonged to my cousin and his wife. They were out for some work when the fire broke out. The villagers immediately came to their rescue thinking that they were at home. Luckily, they were not at home but their belongings were reduced to ashes as the house was locked.” The couple has been identified as Nokhat Konyak and his wife Hailem Konyak.

Khatnai further added, “After the fire died down, the villagers all came together and build a new house using thatch and the construction ended by 3 pm the very same day. It is a tradition of the Konyak tribe to help each other in times of crisis.”

Praising the villagers for their effort and concern, Tsenthungo NGullie, EAC (Mon Sadar) told Time8 that incidents as such highlight the bright picture of Nagaland. “When we heard about the incident we provided emergency assistance and asked them to contact us if they need more help. Financial assistance was also provided to the couple under the State Disaster Management Authority,” NGullie said.

The villagers also generously gave rice, grains and other materials to the couple after the incident.

Photo credit: Khatnai Konyak