The government on March 14th, 2020 has declared the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak in the country a “notified disaster” in order to provide compensation and aid to infected people and the families of those who killed by the deadly virus.
This comes after the World Health Organisation has declared the coronavirus outbreak a pandemic.
The funds for this and other measures will be drawn from the Disaster Response Funds (SDRF) of each state, the government issued notification mentioned.
The Centre also announced an ex-gratia payment of Rs 4 lakh to families of those who die of coronavirus, including those involved in relief operations.
In addition, the cost of hospitalisation for those being treated for the virus has been fixed by state governments.
India has reported two deaths due to the COVID-19 and 84 people have tested positive for the virus so far.
Several states have shut down educational institutions, malls and movie halls as precautionary measures to combat the spread of coronavirus.
The never-seen-before coronavirus outbreak began in a meat market in China’s Wuhan district in December last year and has claimed over 5,000 lives and infected 1.3 lakh people since. People of 110 countries have been affected by the virus so far.
Here’s top 10 updates:
- 4000 people who had come in contact with the 84 positive cases are under surveillance.
- The West Bengal government sealed border with Bhutan and ordered the closure of all the schools and colleges from March 16th to 31st, 2020 as part of precautionary measures to stop the spread of the novel coronavirus infection. However, examinations will continue as per schedule.
- The Rajasthan government has ordered the closure of schools, colleges, theatres till March 30th, 2020 in view of the coronavirus pandemic. The ongoing Board exams will continue as per time table.
- Tripura, on March 14th, 2020, became the fifth state of the country to ban entry of foreign tourists. Other states to have taken a similar measure are Sikkim, Arunachal Pradesh, Manipur and Mizoram. No positive Covid-19 case has been confirmed in the Northeast region so far.
- The Assam government quarantined 741 persons. Assam Minister of State for Health Pijush Hazarika informed that the government has set up 48 beds in isolation wards in six medical colleges and two beds in each district hospital.
- The BCCI suspends all remaining domestic games including Irani Cup in the wake of coronavirus pandemic.
- Five people suspected of being infected with coronavirus escaped from the isolation ward of Mayo General Hospital in Nagpur city of Maharashtra, however, were traced later by the police.
- An isolation ward has been set up at Delhi’s Tihar jail to prevent the spread of the new coronavirus disease. Around 17,500 inmates are lodged in the jail.
- The Punjab government on March 11th, 2020 informed that as many as 335 passengers with travel history to the coronavirus affected countries are untraceable.
- The Government has notified an Order under the Essential Commodities Act to declare masks (2 ply & 3 ply surgical masks, N95 masks) and hand sanitizers items as Essential Commodities up to June 30th, 2020 by amending the Schedule of the Essential Commodities Act, 1955.
Photo credit: jagran.com