Amid protests, Prime Minister Narendra Modi finally addressed the tensions festering in the country over the Citizenship (Amendment) Act, 2019 (CAA) as well as the National Register of Citizens (NRC).
Addressing a mammoth gathering at Delhi’s iconic Ramlila Maidan, PM Modi assured that no Indian Muslim will be affected by the CAA and the NRC.
The rally meant to launch the party’s election campaign in Delhi, Modi set the tone with a new slogan. “Vividha main ekta, bharat ki viseshta (Unity in diversity is India’s uniqueness),” he said.
In a furious attack on the violent protests against the CAA and NRC, Modi said, “Hate me but don’t hate India. Burn my effigies but don’t burn a poor man’s auto-rickshaw”.
Here are top 10 quotes from PM Modi’s speech on CAA
- “Politicians belonging to 100-year old political parties are not voicing for peace. They are mum on the violence being meted out on policemen and other people. It clearly shows you agree with this.”
- “Now that the people of the country have dismissed them, they have gone back to their old measures of divide and rule. The Citizenship Amendment Act is not applicable to any citizen of India irrespective of his religion.”
- “The 130 crore Indians have no connection to the CAB. A lot of lies are being spread about NRC as well. It was made during the Congress regime. Where were the protesters then? We did not make it, nor did we bring it to the Parliament or announce it.”
- “I request the youth of the country to read the Act in detail and not to fall prey to the rumours of detention-centres being spread by Urban Naxals and Congress. It’s a lie and is dividing the nation.”
- “It is shocking to see the kind of lies that are being spread. Some people are even saying that the CAB is against the poor people of the country.”
- “The Act will only apply to the people who’ve been living in India for several years now. No new refugee will benefit from the Citizenship Amendment Act.”
- “Some Dalit leaders, too, have entered the muddle without even understanding. They need to understand that the refugees who have come from Pakistan are mostly Dalits. These Dalit people were employed as bonded labour in Pakistan.”
- “Girls are religiously converted and forced to marry in Pakistan. It is well-documented. It only happens because they follow a different religion. These people have come to India only due to such religious persecution.”
- “Infiltrators never come in light. They never ask for help from the police, never give interviews and just hide. They live via corrupt means through agents. Refugees never hide their identities and infiltrators never reveal themselves.”
- “Former PM Manmohan Singh said in the Parliament that we should provide citizenship to the refugees coming from Bangladesh who have been religiously persecuted.”
- “Assam’s former CM and senior Congress leader Tarun Gogoi had written letters to the PM to provide help for religiously persecuted minorities from Bangladesh.”
- “West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee reached out to the UN on the issue. A few years ago, she had stood up in the Parliament and asked to stop infiltration from Bangladesh and wanted help for the refugees coming in from Bangladesh.”
- “Mahatma Gandhi had said that the Sikhs & Hindus living in Pakistan will always be welcome in India. This Act is in line with promise the Govt of India made in 1947. Now that we’re fulfilling the decades-old promise, why are they protesting against it?.”
- “These people have always done vote-bank politics. Everything ever said by them was a lie. They’re agitating people for their votes, spreading violence, and are spreading false rumours.”
- “I’m certain that people who hold the tri-colour will raise their voices against the violent protesters and call to bring peace. I want to call upon the people who hold the tri-colour to raise their voices against Pakistan-sponsored cross-border terrorism.”
- “Congress and its supporters are also disturbed by the fact that why PM Modi is respected in the world and especially, in Muslim countries.”
- “NRC came at the time of Congress. Were they sleeping then? We neither brought NRC in cabinet nor in Parliament. If we’re passing legislation to give you ownership rights, in the same session will we bring legislation to send you out?”
- “Policemen have to suffer violence while doing their duty. What will you get by wounding the policemen on whom these people are raining stones? After independence, more than 33 thousand policemen have martyred for peace, for your safety.”
- “When any crisis or difficulty comes, this police neither asks religion nor asks caste, sees cold nor sees rain and stands up to help you.”
- “I want to tell such people that if you dislike the mandate that I got then abuse Modi and go against Modi. But stop burning public property and destroying a poor man’s auto.”
- “These people are preaching, but are not ready to speak a word for peace, not a word to stop the violence. This means that you are silent on the violence, the attacks on the police. This country is watching.”
- “These people who sell lies, spread rumours need to be identified. These are 2 types of people. One whose politics has been based on the vote bank for decades. Other people who have benefited from this politics.”
- “The Muslims of India don’t need to worry at all. The CAB and the NRC will not apply to the Muslims of the country. It’s a white lie.”
- “Even those who are still in confusion, I would say that the rumor of the Detention Center raised by the Congress and the Urban Naxalites is a lie. Both the citizenship law and the NRC have nothing to do with the Muslims of the soil of India.”
- “This act will apply to those people who have been living in India for years. No new refugee will get the benefit of this law. This is the law to provide security to people who came due to religious persecution from Pakistan, Afghanistan and Bangladesh.”
Inputs & Photo credit: @BJP4India