Dogs Refuse To Eat, Move Without Two Little Masters Burnt To Death In Guwahati

Seven-year-old Ishan and his five-year-old brother Ivan - were killed when a major fire engulfed their house in Basisthapur area of the city


An unspeakable tragedy took place in the heart of Guwahati on the afternoon of January 23rd, 2020. Two brothers – seven-year-old Ishan and his five-year-old brother Ivan – were killed when a major fire engulfed their house in Basisthapur area of the city.

Unfortunately, it was Ivan’s birthday on January 23rd, 2020 and their mother Shilpi Bora Goswami was visiting friends in the neighbourhood to invite them when the inferno engulfed the house within minutes.

Both the deceased brothers will be cremated today at the Nabagraha Crematorium. If the parents lost their child, Jack and Jill – the pet dogs of the brothers – lost their friends.

Since last evening, Jack and Jill refused to eat or move. They were found sitting on the front yard of the house and when the night came, they curled up in a ball to keep themselves warm.

They stopped wagging their tails and blankly kept starring at the house where their masters were killed in a fire breakout. Even as local people, fire-fighters and police officials kept visiting the house since last evening, Jack and Jill didn’t for once enter the house, which was a playground for them with Ishan and Ivan around.

Bicycles of the seven-year-old Ishan and his five-year-old brother Ivan amidst the remains.

“Dogs are known as the man’s best friend. The relation between a dog and its master is extremely deep. Both the brothers used to play with their pet dogs, Jack and Jill. They (pet dogs) have also sensed by now that their masters will never come back…God can be cruel at times,” said a neighbour failing to control her tears.

Another neighbour shared as his voice choked with emotion, “Everything happened so fast…within minutes everything was reduced to ashes. Jack and Jill are sitting in the compound since last evening…maybe waiting for the brothers to come back and play with them.”

At the time of the accident, Tushar Goswami, the father of the two children, was in Upper Assam’s Sivasagar where he is serving as a geologist. Their grandmother Labanya Goswami was downstairs when the fire broke out. Both the mother and grandmother, in trauma, are presently being taken care of by the neighbours.

“…We heard the kids screaming…but we failed to save them as the fire spread rapidly. A short circuit is suspected to cause an LPG cylinder to explode which engulfed the first floor of the house so fast that none of us could enter and rescue the two kids who were in a room there,” a local said.

Tushar and Shilpi Goswami, the parents of the deceased children.

The bodies of the two brothers, hugging each other, were found on an iron bedstead in a room on the first floor by the fire-fighters. Except for a table, the furniture, doors and windows of the rooms of the first floor of the two-storeyed house were completely destroyed.

The brothers were taken to Gauhati Medical College and Hospital but the doctors declared them brought dead. The locals said Ishan was a Class I student of Srimanta Sankardev Academy and Ivan was in nursery at Holy Home School, Dispur.

Assam Chief Minister Sarbananda Sonowal mourned the deaths. He also instructed Kamrup (Metro) district deputy commissioner (district magistrate) to conduct a probe into the incident.

Ishan Goswami with mother Shilpi.

Photo: @smitaranideka