Biswanath, June 26, 2019
Shocking photographs captured on a mobile phone showed the victim’s body in flames and his head separated from the body. The person has been identified as Robin Das.
The incident took place when Robin was trying to repair a potentially dangerous 11,000 volt electricity line in the area. The locals held the power department’s lackadaisical attitude responsible for the death of the person.
Meanwhile, the enraged locals have condemned the incident and demanded an investigation into the matter. “Based on a complaint, a few officials of the power department visited the site. One of the officials climbed the pole and while repairing, came in contact with a live wire. It is sheer negligence on the part of the department as despite screaming for help, they could not save Robin,” said a local.
Bharatiya Janata Party’s Biswanath MLA Pramod Borthakur also visited the spot assured investigation and compensation to the next of kin. The locals also gheraoed the electricity office and chanted slogans against the power department.
“It was a very unfortunate incident. It happened because of the irresponsibility of the electricity department. I have asked the district administration to initiate an investigation and take action against the accused. We will make sure that the deceased’s family receive the compensation as per the state government norms,” MLA Borthakur added.