The novel coronavirus outbreak, which began at a market in China’s Wuhan district in December 2019, claimed more than 5000 and infected 1.3 lakh globally.
A total of 107 confirmed cases have been detected and two died in India so far. However, India has taken various internal measures to combat the outbreak. Prime Minister Narendra Modi and the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare have been minutely monitoring the spread of the virus.
India has also started evacuating its citizens from other countries after the World Health Organization (WHO) declared the coronavirus outbreak a pandemic and said that Europe is the new epicentre of the lethal virus.
Various state governments have also reacted by shutting down public spaces such as malls and cinema theatres, as well as closing schools and colleges.
Here are the top 20 points:
- The number of confirmed coronavirus cases climbed to 107 in India on March 15th, 2020 while two died due to coronavirus in the country so far.
- Two more COVID-19 cases reported in the state. One UK national, and a doctor – who returned from abroad & tested positive. The total positive cases in the state rise to 21, said Kerala Health Minister KK Shailaja
- Six cases of COVID-19 have been reported in the Karnataka, including one death, Karnataka government said.
- Most of the states including Assam and Gujarat ordered the closure of schools, colleges and cinema halls to prevent the spread of coronavirus. All educational institutions in Assam shall remain close till March 29th, 2020.
- The Delhi government has ordered all minibuses to be disinfected daily in order to prevent the spread of coronavirus in the city.
- Uttarakhand government has banned mass gatherings, including seminars and protests, in the state amid coronavirus outbreak, informed state minister Madan Kaushik today.
- In Bihar, the general administration department has issued the order for assigning duties to both class C and D employees of the state government on alternate days.
- All three old cases of coronavirus-hit patients in Rajasthan have now been tested negative for infection and cured, while a 24-year-old youth found having the affliction is undergoing treatment at SMS Hospital here, officials said.
- Maharashtra has reported 32 positive cases of novel coronavirus so far, state Health Minister Rajesh Tope said on Sunday
- The Railway authorities in Mumbai have started disinfecting local trains, which carry around 80 lakh suburban commuters every day, as well as long-distance trains.
- To contain the spread of novel coronavirus, film bodies in India including Federation of Western Indian Cine Employees (FWICE) and Indian Film & Television Directors’ Association (IFTDA) on Sunday decided to put shootings of films, TV shows and web series on hold from March 19th to March 31st, 2020.
- “Prepare, but don’t panic” has been our guiding mantra: Prime Minister Narendra Modi
- Guwahati High Court and Calcutta High Court to hear urgent cases only
- The Buldhana patient – who died in a private hospital on March 14th, 2020, has tested negative for COVIDー19, ANI quoted Sanjeeva Kumar, Special Secretary, Ministry of Health as saying.
- Union Health & Family Welfare Minister Harsh Vardhan reviewed the status and preparedness of the States/UTs in terms of quarantine facilities; isolation wards, adequacy of Personal Protective Equipment (PPEs), masks, testing kits etc. He also advised the states/UTs for maintaining hygiene and cleanliness in the hospitals and adheres to all laid down protocols for containment and management of COVID-19.
- Centre directed for scaling up the capacity of the 24×7 Control Room Helpline (011-23978046) by adding more lines and additional human resource, to serve the queries on COVID19 through the Control Room.
- In addition, as part of efforts of the Government to evacuate Indian citizens from COVID-19 affected countries, an Air India flight from Milan, Italy arrived in Delhi this morning carrying 218 evacuees. These evacuees are quarantined at the ITBP camp at Chhawla, as per protocol. In addition, the third batch of 236 evacuees from Iran has arrived today; they are being quarantined at the Army facility in Jaisalmer. Also, a total of 265 passengers coming from COVID-19 affected countries have been quarantined at Trivandrum, Delhi, Mumbai, Kolkata, Bengaluru and Hyderabad.
- As of now, 23 new cases have been detected. Of these, 17 are from Maharashtra, two from Telangana, one from Rajasthan and three from Kerala. Both deceased patients had pre-existing co-morbidities. Contract tracing of these cases is being rigorously pursued. So far, this has led to the identification of more than 4000 contacts, who have been put under surveillance.
- According to BBC, UK Health Secretary Matt Hancock has confirmed that action to isolate the UK’s over-70s for an extended period to shield them from coronavirus is planned in the coming weeks.
- Malaysia reported 190 new cases of coronavirus, most linked to a religious event at a mosque that was attended by more than 10,000 people from several countries, reports Reuters.
Photo credit: The Economic Times