The Northeastern states beefed up preventive measures to contain the spread of novel coronavirus (COVID-19). No positive coronavirus case has been detected in the Northeast so far.
The educational institutes, gyms, swimming pools, parks, museums, markets and other mass gathering spots have been closed in the Northeast.
The screening processes of people at all airports, railway stations, land ports and other places is underway in the region.
From March 22nd, 2020, the Assam government will start the hand-stamping process at airports, railway stations and other places for the people who will come to the state from outside.
Assam Health Minister Himanta Biswa Sarma also said that no person will be allowed to stand in buses or trains to stop the spread of coronavirus.
All shops, business establishments to remain closed in Assam on March 23rd, 2020.
Here are the top 10 points:
- The Assam government has invoked the Epidemic Act 1897 to prevent the spread of disease.
- The Assam government cancelled all examinations in the state till March 31st, 2020
- 50 per cent employees of the Assam government departments will work from home on a rotation basis. This rotational system will be continued till March 31st, 2020.
- The Assam government has decided to transfer $2000 to those people from Assam stranded outside the country.
- The Bihu committees in Assam have decided to cancel Rongali Bihu functions across the state due to coronavirus threat.
- All restaurants, dhabas, sweets shops, cafes, coffee house and fast food joints have been asked to remain closed on March 22nd, 2020 in Assam as support to PM Narendra Modi’s clarion call to observe ‘Janata Curfew’ as a precautionary measure to avoid the spread of deadly novel coronavirus.
- 12 airports in the Northeast region will remain functional on March 22nd, 2020 during ‘Janata Curfew’ called by PM Narendra Modi.
- The Indian Railways appealed to the passengers not to travel on local passenger and long-distance trains unless absolutely necessary. All trains have been cancelled on March 22nd, 2020 in view of ‘Janata Curfew’.
- To extend helping hand to the citizens in times of coronavirus, Assam Police tweeted, “People of Assam, settled in different parts of the country or abroad, who have older relatives/parents living without any support in Assam can contact us through Social Media or Email for support.” The email ID is: [email protected] WhatsApp: +919132699735
- Manipur government has ordered the closure of the Ima markets across the State from March 21st to March 25th, 2020.
- Meghalaya Chief Minister Conrad K Sangma announced a 24-hour statewide shutdown from the midnight of March 21st, 2020 and said it will be observed as “coronavirus awareness day”. Sanitization activities were conducted in Shillong on March 21st, 2020 to fight against coronavirus.
- As a precautionary measure to prevent and control the spread of coronavirus in Nagaland, Deputy Commissioner, Mokokchung, Limawabang Jamir has informed that issuance of fresh ILP, Aadhar enrolment, ST/IC/PRC and Character certificates shall remain suspended from March 21st, 2020 onwards.
Photo credit: @AAIIXSAirport