The Guwahati Police has issued a traffic advisory for the Chhath celebrations in the capital city, an official notification forwarded by the Deputy Commissioner of Police, Traffic read.
The festival will be celebrated on November 2nd– 3rd, 2019(Saturday-Sunday). The restrictions in the movement of vehicles have been made keeping in view of the devotees who will be congregating at various Ghats of the Brahmaputra river and other water bodies to worship the sun.
The normal flow of traffic is likely to be affected following diversions, parking on both the dates on roads adjoining the major ghats. Restrictions for vehicular traffic will be effective from 1 pm on November 2nd till the departure of the devotees from puja locations in the evening. On November 3rd, the restrictions will be made from 1 am and shall continue till the departure of the devotees.
Diversion of Vehicular Traffic
- No vehicles, except vehicles carrying devotees, will be allowed to ply on the stretch of MG Road between Apollo point to Cotton Collegiate School Point
- All buses including City buses coming from Bharalumukh side towards Pan Bazar and Chandmari side will be diverted at Apollo point towards HB Road via TRP Road/AT Road
- All vehicles including city buses coming from Chandmari side toward Panbazar, Bharalumukh and Jalukbari shall be diverted at TC point via District Library, RBI Point, Oasis Point
- Light vehicles from TC Point via GNB Road toward Panbazar and Fancybazar shall be diverted via SS Road
- Light vehicles from Uzanbazar, Latasil side towards Bharalumukh shall be diverted via BC Road, Tayabullah Road, and GNB Road
- All city buses coming from Khanapara towards Bharalumukh, Jalukbari shall be diverted via AT Road from Panbazar ROB south point
- All heavy vehicles including inter-district buses and red color rural service buses operating under ASTC coming from Jalukbari shall not be allowed to enter into the city
- From Lokhra, Garchuk, and Sixmile, entry of trucks shall be restricted November 2nd, 2019
Parking of vehicles
- Vehicles carrying devotees from the Bharalumukh side shall be allowed to park their vehicles on MG Road from Apollo point to FA Road and MG Road crossing TRP Road, Lakhi Goli, Chamber’s Road, MS Road, and SRCB Road.
- At Sonaram HS School ghat all vehicles shall be parked inside the field
No parking zones
- AT Road, from Bharalumukh to Panbazar over bridge South Point will be kept clear of parked vehicles from 7 am of Nov 2nd, 2019
- On MLN road, ARB road, SS road, SRCB road, HB road, TRP road parking of vehicles shall not be allowed
- No trucks shall be allowed to park at TRP Road, Lakhi Goli, chambers road, SRCB road, Kedar Road, MS road from 7 am, Nov 2nd till the departure of devotees
- Slow-moving vehicles used by the devotees will be allowed to enter the restricted zone from Sukreswar Ghat.
Chhath Puja is dedicated to the Sun and his sister Shashti Devi thanking them for bestowing the bounties of life on earth. The festival does not involve any idol worship.
Photo: Sushmita Dey