The Assam government will start Arundhati gold scheme by January 1st, 2020 for the registered newly married couples.
Under the new scheme, an amount of Rs 30,000 will be given to the bride to purchase gold.
Assam Finance minister Himanta Biswa Sarma had said that the scheme is aimed to promote marriage registrations and prevent under-age marriages in the state.
He said that the annual income of the bride and her father should not be more than Rs 5 lakh per year to avail the benefit under the Arundhati gold scheme.
It is expected that this scheme would help in population control. The government had allocated Rs 300 crore for the gold scheme.
Check out the eligibility criteria:
- The bride and groom should have attained the legal age of 18 years and 21 years respectively at the time of registration of the marriage.
- The marriage of the applicant should be registered under the Special Marriage Act, 1954.
- The applicant should have solemnised her marriage on or after December 1st, 2019.
- The applicant should have registered her marriage on or after January 1st, 2020.
- The applicant girl should apply for the benefit under Arundhati Gold Scheme on the same day that she applies for marriage registration.
- The total income of the parents/applicant girls should be below Rs 5 Lakh per annum.
- The applicant girl can avail of this benefit for her first marriage only.
- Both the bride and the groom must have passed at least HSLC or equivalent in the case of non Tea Tribe/Adivasi communities.
- No minimum educational qualification is required in case of Tea Tribe/Adivasi communities for the next five years, as most of the Tea Gardens in the State of Assam do not have High School facilities.
Photo credit: weddingwire.in