Amid the anti-Citizenship Amendment Act protests across the country, the Union Cabinet approved Rs 3,941.35 crore for updation of the National population Register (NPR) and Rs 8,754.23 crore for conducting the census in 2021.
The Census will cover the entire population in the country while NPR will also cover all the population except in Assam.
The Indian Census is the largest administrative and statistical exercise in the world. The next decennial Census is due in 2021 and would be conducted in two phases – House listing and Housing Census (April to September 2020) and Population Enumeration (February 9th to February 28th, 2021). The NPR will also be updated along with House listing and Housing Census except in Assam.
A total of 30 lakh field functionaries will complete this gigantic exercise of national importance, up from 28 lakh in 2011. Use of mobile app for data collection and the Central portal for monitoring purpose will ensure early release of Census data with improved quality. The data dissemination will be much better and in a user-friendly way so that all the queries on required parameters for policymaking will be made available on the click of a button. Census-as-a-service (CaaS) will deliver on-demand data to ministries in a clean, machine-readable and actionable format.
Major impact including employment generation potential
- Census is not a mere statistical exercise. The results will be made available to the general public in a user-friendly manner.
- All the data would be put for use of all stakeholders and users including Ministries, Departments, State Governments, research organisations etc.
- Data sharing to all, up to the lowest Administrative Unit i.e. Village/Ward level.
- Block-level data of Enumeration to Delimitation Commission for delimitation of the Parliamentary and Assembly Constituencies.
- Approximately 48,000 people will be engaged for about 2,900 days at the local levels.
Census data is a powerful tool for public policy when combined with other administrative or survey data. Census-as-a-Service (CaaS) will deliver on-demand data to various Ministries/ State Governments and other stakeholders in a user-friendly, machine-readable and actionable format with facilities like dashboard etc.
New initiatives taken for the Census 2021 are:
- Use of Mobile App for the first time for data collection.
- Census Monitoring & Management Portal as a single source for all officers/ officials involved in Census activities to provide multi-language support.
- The facility of online self-enumeration for the public during the Population Enumeration phase. Code Directory to record the descriptive responses saving time in the processing of data.
- Transfer of honorarium etc. to the Census functionaries for the Census & NPR related work directly to their bank accounts using Public Financial Management System (PFMS) and Direct Benefit Transfer (DBT) covering more than 60% of the total expenditure.
- Qualitative training to 30 lakh field functionaries and utilising services of national/state level training institutes to prepare national and state-level trainers.
Photo credit: Jagran Josh